Tuesday 31 January 2017

My version of a sweat shirt

I love the feel of sweatshirts, but I never wear them.  The banded crew neck, drop shoulders, oversized body and sleeves, and ribbing at the cuffs and hipline are all on my list of things to avoid. The only garment that I can think of that is less flattering than a sweatshirt is sweatpants. But when I came across this amazingly soft cotton/poly sweat shirting, I couldn't resist.  It's January after all, and anything soft, warm, and cozy is welcome.  So, here is my version of a sweatshirt that's casual and comfortable.


I chose Vogue 8925 because I loved the silhouette.  I opted for the shorter length and bracelet-length sleeves, and didn't add the decorative bands.  I wanted simple in keeping with the concept of a sweatshirt. 


What this pattern lacks, though, is pockets, so I inserted some between the princess and side seams.  This fabric is quite bulky, so the top-stitching on the princess seams ensures that the pocket seams stay flat. It also highlights the princess seaming which is nicely placed.


I cut a small in the shoulders and the entire front panel, and after doing a 1/2 inch forward shoulder adjustment and lowering the bust point by 1 inch, I graded out to a medium from mid-bust to hip on the side seams.  This worked just fine in lieu of  a full-bust adjustment.  And, I wasn't happy with just turning and stitching the neckline, so I added cotton twill tape for stability.  Some reviewers felt that the neckline was too wide, but I think that it's perfect.

All in all, I'm happy with how it fits and feels.  I think that I might try it again in a French terry. It's going to be winter for a while yet, and another cozy top wouldn't go amiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment